Friday, July 15, 2011

Day 61: King of the Ladybugs and Queen Bee

Dayton, WA to Walla Walla, WA

Stats!
Miles biked today: 30.2
Total miles biked on trip so far: 2173.2
Max speed: 32.0 mph
# of ladybugs that landed on Dean: at least 6
# of bees in my bonnet (er, helmet): 1
# of steep hills climbed unexpectedly: 5
# of new species spotted: 1 (camel!)

This morning we woke up in our wonderful, fancy hotel room and decided to take a rest day. The hotel where we were staying must have been some kind of historic building -- it had high ceilings and crown molding everywhere, and the windows were huge, with these great wooden blinds. I really loved it.

After deciding to take a rest day, we took our sweet time getting up, but made it just in time for continental breakfast. It was then that we learned that the hotel was completely booked for tonight, so we couldn't stay.

On to Walla Walla!

So we ended up with a late start, but it wasn't a huge deal since we were only going 30 miles. It was another one of those either 30 miles or 90 miles but nothing in between days, and given the choice, we'll almost always choose the shorter day. Also, there was one sizable climb about 10 miles in, but after that the elevation map promised a long, slow descent into Walla Walla.

We were feeling pretty wiped from yesterday's ride, energy-wise, but the first 10 miles were flat. When we hit the big hill, I couldn't do it. My quads were done. No more! So we changed into our regular shoes and walked up the whole thing.

After that, we had about 5 miles of the promised downhill, before -- WHAT'S THIS?? -- another steep hill where there should have been none. I double checked the map. We were definitely on the right route. So we just climbed it. Another brief downhill. Another steep climb. Another downhill. Another climb. And so on. Overall, we lost elevation, just like the map said we would, but it only shows "significant" elevation changes so you can plan for them. My quads thought all the climbs were significant today, but at least we didn't have to walk again.

Every time we stopped, a ladybug would land on Dean and hang out awhile. There were tons of them around on the whole ride today. I'm not sure why. And they weren't interested in me at all, but they were swarming Dean. Maybe his yellow jersey looked like a flower they like? One even hitched a ride on Dean's forearm for several miles.

My only encounter with insects today happened just around lunchtime. We were riding along and I felt something land on my helmet. I felt around, worried that it might have been a gift from a bird passing overhead, but I couldn't feel anything there. I forgot about it, and we went into a cafe for lunch. I took off my helmet, we ordered lunch, I got my soda, etc. I brushed back my hair, just as you might do anytime for no reason at all, and a nearly-dead bee fell onto my lap. I guess that's what had fallen on my head earlier. Naturally, I screamed, thinking it was still full of vim and vigor, and called quite a bit of attention to myself. As if we don't attract enough attention with our ridiculous outfits. Oh, well.

We eventually made it to Walla Walla, which seems like a cool town. I got my bike fixed up, as was sorely needed. But I think we are going to do another hop-skip-jump to Portland via train or rental car. Nothing's decided for sure. The next stretch is light on services and towns (I don't fancy another stretch of cold Boyardee dinners), and heavy on what the map calls "fierce wind out of the west." No good. Plus, it's supposed to rain here for the next few days. In Washington state! Who'd have guessed?

Tomorrow we are taking a rest day for laundry and to figure out what we'll do next.

I also forgot to mention yesterday that, as we were making the descent into Dayton and the sun was just down, the ride was really breathtaking. The full moon was out, the skies were purple, and the rolling hills were really green. If you saw it in a painting, you'd think it was overdone and unrealistic. But it was spectacular! So, something good came out of that fiasco.

We'll keep you updated tomorrow on what our plans are. For now, sleep!

2 comments:

  1. First we want to apologize for our tardiness in commenting on the blog. They are several things we wanted to comment on. First of all Dean, Ladybugs are a sign of good lock so that bodes well for you. Next we wanted to ask about the outline of the man carved in the side of the hill...what was that all about. We are also sorry that you didn't get to spend the weekend in that lovely little hotel. Places like that are hard to find. Lastly, I wanted to comment on Meredith's screaming at the little bee.....we are not surprised. You have biked over 2000 miles and if you don't bike another mile you're done something most of us will never do. Keep blogging, we look forward to it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep, ladybugs are sign of good luck! :-)

    ReplyDelete